Our roots call all the way back to the early days of Wellington...way back in 1915.
The town of Wellington was laid out in 1905 and it was not long before several churches formed. By the end of 1905 the town enjoyed both a Methodist and a Congregational church (the Congregational Church built our current building in 1907). A few years later, a Baptist church was also established in town.
By 1915 a problem was evident: Wellington had 500 residents and three relatively empty churches. Around this time people considered the problem of too many churches and remembered a ministry called the Union Sunday School that was run by a Methodist ministry out of the school house one more north of town. For years they held services and people of all denominations came to worship.
Remembering those days, the various churches (the Methodists, Congregational and Baptist churches) began talking about combining the three churches into one. It was common in those days for churches from various denominations to join together under one "federated church". So after several meetings, on September 17, 1915 they adopted the "Articles of Organization of the Wellington Federated Church." The WFC church board consisted of nine members representing five Christian denominations. To avoid any suspicion of denominational favoritism, the board decided to call a Presbyterian to be their pastor, since there were only two or three Presbyterians in the community and none on the board.
The first services of the Federated Church were held on September 19, 1915 at the Congregational Church building. The Bible School had 6 teachers and 49 members. Rev. R.H. Barr., Ph.D., a Presbyterian, preached his first sermon on October 3, 1915. Soon after, 140 people were attending Sunday School and 200 members were enrolled. This growth was directly attributed to Rev. Barr who, on his bicycle, thoroughly canvassed the country, over and over again, inviting (or pleading) with people to come to church. Mrs. Barr went house to house with the same mission. Their faithful efforts successfully established the church here in Wellington and it has continued going strong ever since.
Some notable milestones include:
- In 1941 the church steeple was taken down because it had been struck by lightning.
- In 1958 the basement was dug out, much of it by hand, under the already standing church and the west part of the church was rebuilt.
- By 1994 the gym, a 2-story building with classrooms, kitchen and a youth activity room was completed.
- In 2004 we changed our name to "Wellington Community Church."
- Recently, in 2018, we decided to take a tremendous step of faith and sell our entire facility to the Boys & Girls Club. You can read about that here. Currently, we are still meeting in our historic location, but we are actively working on find land to build a new church.
Hopefully, you can see that throughout it’s history, WCC has played a significant role in the life of the town of Wellington as we have sought to stand as a light to our community, shining God's Word and declaring His Truth that we, and the community around us, might come to know Christ as Savior and enjoy blessed fellowship with Him and His people.
WCC has been part of the Town of Wellington for generations, and we look forward to being part of it for generations to come!