What’s going on with our building project?
You may have heard the news! On December 4th, 2018 we sold our building to the Boys & Girls Club. This is an exciting step forward in our long-planned building project!
To catch you up, let’s start at the beginning:
Our current church building was built in 1907 by the Congregational Church of Wellington. In 1915, they merged with the Methodist Church and Baptist Church in town and began to be called Wellington Federated Church. The word “federated” wasn’t talking about politics or government, but rather it meant we were an amalgamation of separate churches all working together.
Overtime, the churches blended together and become one church and the idea of “federated” no longer applied. We were no longer an amalgamation of churches, but one church family; hence the name “Wellington Community Church.” We’ve been a community of God’s people serving the community of Wellington ever since.
During these 100+ years, we’ve sought to serve Christ and Wellington. Although our current location has been terrific; it has not kept pace with the surrounding community. Then around 10-15 years ago, one of our longstanding church members "gifted" us with an option to purchase about 9 acres of property from their estate at a reduced cost. We purchased this property and still own it. It is on the east side of town (on Sixth Street, across from Eyestone Elementary School). The hope was that we would one day build a new church on that property to be more centrally located to minister to the community.
Over the years, we have kept this hope and vision alive. Many years, we have met for prayer and fellowship, asking the Lord to guide us and enable us to put a church there. We’ve even invested in some rough architectural designs for what a building might look like on that property. Yet after much research, thought and prayer, it seems that the Lord has had different plans.
After a series of meetings with town administrators in 2018, it has become clear that putting a church on the Sixth Street property would not be feasible. While we recognize that anything is possible, we began to realize that we were clinging to our desires not the Lord’s, and we needed to let Him lead us where He wants us to go.
During this time, we also had numerous meetings with the Boys & Girls Club. It has become clear that the Lord has been working in these details in ways that we could not anticipate; and for many reasons, we believed the Lord was (is) moving us from our current property to a new location, and has provided the resources to make that happen.
Thus, the status of the building project is this:
- Our sale to the Boys & Girls Club includes terms of staying here for up to three years while we find a new church home. The intent is still to build a new facility centrally located in town, and we believe this is feasible within that time frame. During the time that we will still at our current location and share the use of the property with the Boys & Girls Club.
- We have listed our Sixth Street property for sale. Anyone who is interested in the property can contact our realtor at Cushman & Wakefield.
- We have retained various experts to help facilitate this process, and we're particularly excited to be working with a church architectural firm called Building God’s Way. They have built over 700 churches throughout America and have already provided extremely helpful counsel as we plan for a facility that is economically viable but allows for expansion.
- Our leaders have been meeting regularly, as well as a building team, to work on plans and design. The drawings on this page are the result of several meetings and we are excited about how the Lord might enable us to build such a building.
- We are also considering property options and are in formal negotiations with one property on the south side of town. We are hopeful that this property may be our new church home.
In all of this, we ask for your prayers and support. Please continue to lift up our church family to the Lord that He might strengthen us and guide us and use us to glorify Him here in the town of Wellington. Please pray that our Sixth Street property sells in a timely manner. Please pray that we glorify the Lord through all of this.
Thank you for your care and we look forward to walking with you in these days to come!
To God be the glory!
Proverbs 3:5–6 says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight."